Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January 27

I’ve been here about two weeks now, which feels impossibly short. I’ve already generated so much love for these kids, and I feel like I’ve known them for years, rather than a mere few days. I’m sure those of you who’ve spent time here know exactly how I feel. There is so much individuality and character packed into each and every little body, and it’s unreal to experience more and more of it each day.

The home is basically just a family on a larger scale; Leonie and the kids with a couple smaller families tied in as permanent fixtures of the home as well. One major difference here is the independence of the children. They grow up a lot quicker, mostly because they have to. There’s not always someone available to coddle and carry around the babies, so they learn to walk and start to wander on their own sooner. If someone gets hurt (which, as you can imagine, happens often) their tears are more often met with encouragement to toughen up than with hugs and soothing words. Kids, who are just that-kids, are taking care of, and at times parenting, themselves and each other. In our society children seem to be nurtured, and sometimes babied, a lot more as they grow up. Who’s to say which method is better than the other; it’s just interesting to observe the contrast between the two.

Teaching the boys is still quite challenging, and I don’t feel like this is the most effective way for these boys to be getting their education, but I’m trying to make the best of it. The curriculum is not very straightforward, and the days are not well planned out. The main focus is to set the foundations of reading and writing, but there’s a long way to go to say the least. I can’t remember the last time I sang, let alone had to teach, the ABC’s before this week. Some (most) days I wish there was two of me!

As for life outside of the home, I met a girl from Australia who invited me out with her and a few other girls, most of them are med students from Australia or Europe who've chosen Belize for their practicum and will be here a few weeks. So monday I grabbed Lucie (a girl from France who's family also helps at the home) and we met them for dinner and chats! It was nice to socialize a bit. I finally picked up a bike; walking everywhere is fine, but it takes soo much longer. My friends at the home are slowly dying off.. the cockroach count is up to 11 now! I'm looking forward to having the Project Serve team come visit in only two weeks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment